416-483-3500 x 703
About Gil Zvulony, Internet Lawyer
Gil Zvulony is the founder and director of Zvulony & Company P.C. Mr. Zvulony is a well-known Toronto internet lawyer. He advocates and assists businesses and individuals in internet, defamation, reputation, media, copyright, commercial, and international law matters. Some of Gil’s notable work includes, winning a precedent setting judgment of over $200 Million, having a multi-million dollar defamation suit tossed-out of court on technical grounds, and representing a well known diet doctor in a high profile defamation case.
He has given lectures to other lawyers on several topics including an annual lecture to the legal community on how to leverage the use of technology to improve client communication and service.
A Lawyer That Understands Technology
Mr. Zvulony is the “go to” guy when it comes to technology and the law. He has given his expert opinion in the media on numerous occasions. His expert opinion on proposed Cyber-bullying legislation was even cited by Canada’s Justice Minister.
Mr. Zvulony’s clients typically have issues that are complicated by internet activities and multi-jurisdictional parties. He has assisted clients, including other lawyers, in navigating the minefield of internet law. He understands the latest technologies and business models. He has extensive experience, in public relations, search engines and social media and how they can impact on a business and reputation. Clients clearly benefit from this fluency. He is able to focus on their legal issues, without having to waste time and money to “get up to speed” on the technology and the rapidly evolving area of the law.
Experienced Commercial Debt Collection Litigation
He also has experience in complex commercial and collection disputes. He has assisted countless creditors recover commercial debts owed to them. He is insured and licenced to give legal advice with respect to the laws of Ontario and the laws of Canada. He speaks English and Hebrew. He sits on the board of directors of a local charitable organization.
Libel and Slander Law/ Online Reputation Management Law
- Lead defence counsel in a prominent defamation trial.
- Removal of Police Press Releases from Police force websites
- Successfully defended a defamation case by convincing a judge of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice to throw out the case for being fundamentally defective. To learn more click Defamation Case Dismissed.
- Has successfully removed defamatory postings against several Toronto lawyers being defamed on the internet
- Has successfully removed defamatory postings against various Toronto business people falsely accused of being “scams” and “frauds”
- Has successfully removed defamatory reviews against various Toronto restaurants, spas, and hotels
- Successfully defended and favourably resolved a high profile lawsuit about a environmental activist who was sued for over two million dollars for defamation on the internet
- Achieved favourable settlements for various bloggers, reviewers, and webmasters that were sued for defamation
- Has successfully removed defamatory search results and auto completed for a high profile Toronto politician
- Has advised several authors whether their works contravened libel and slander law,
- Has advised a city counselor candidate on legality of campaign material
- Removal of photos from The Dirty
- Removal of photos and defamatory statements from Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites.
- Represented a photographer whose copyright in images was infringed by a high profile media company. Mr. Zvulony obtained a settlement of approximately $10,000 per photograph infringed against the media company.
- Effectively represented an author accused of plagiarism in settlement negotiations with several publishers throughout North America
- Counseled various web-based enterprises on how to minimize their legal liability for copyright violations
- Secured several beneficial out of court settlements for webmasters accused of copying copyrighted materials
- Recovered thousands of dollars for several U.S. based software companies against software pirates throughout Canada
Trade-mark and Domain Name Law
- Favourably settled trade-mark disputes on behalf of various webmasters with respect to the sale of pirated goods on the internet
- Recovered domain names from cyber squatters for trade-mark holders in Canada
- Acted on the purchase and sale of various domain names
Advice and Due Diligence
- Advised a top tier web content provider with respect to a content delivery deal with a leading internet service provider
- Buying and Selling of several web businesses
- Drafted software licence agreements for various technology corporations
- Advised various law firms and lawyers on internet defamation issues.
- Has audited hundreds of websites for compliance with various laws applying to the internet such as: gaming laws, competition law, pyramid marketing, copyright law, private international law, obscenity laws, advertising laws, criminal laws, human rights laws, trade-mark laws, and contractual obligations.
- Won a precedent setting judgment against a former executive on behalf of a group of investors. The Ontario judgment of over $200 Million US is believed to be the largest court award in Canadian history. Read: Court Judgment may be Largest in Canada for the full story. The defendant in that case appealed the judgment to a panel of three judges in the Ontario Court of Appeal. Mr. Zvulony also successfully defended the plaintiffs in the Appeal. The Ontario Court of Appeal endorsed the lower court’s ruling.
- Counsel for several US plaintiffs and defendants in lawsuits about the enforcement of US judgments in Ontario
- Secured a beneficial out of court settlement for an Ontario technology corporation sued in the USA and Ontario for breach of contract
- Counsel for a mid-size international software company in the litigation and collection of its accounts receivables for IT consulting work in Ontario
- Counsel for several Toronto law firms in collecting their unpaid fees
- Set aside a default judgment and obtained a dismissal of a lawsuit against client for an unpaid loan
- Recovered lots of money for many satisfied clients!
Media Appearances and Speaking Engagements
Mr. Zvulony regularly appears on television, radio and print, to comment on legal issues concerning technology and the internet. Some media and speaking appearances:
- Was featured in a story by Global News about online reviews and getting sued for defamation
- Spoke to the national media regarding the policing of YouTube for violent and threatening beviour.
- Panelist at Telematics Canada Conference 2014
- Discussed What not to say on social media with City News
- Spoke with Kevin Newman Live about Criminal Harassment on Twitter
- Discussed Criminal Harassment on Twitter on CBC Metro Morning
- Appeared in the national media regarding the laying of obscenity/corrupting morals charges against a website owner
- Appeared on The Inside Story with Avery Haines with respect to the legality of internet cat-fishing.
- Spoke to the CBC on the problems of internet defamation and getting defamatory websites removed from search engines.
- Commented in the media regarding the Rob Ford/Sarah Thomson dispute
- Presented a seminar on Web Advertising and the Law for the Canadian Institute Presentation to lawyers on using technology to communicate effectively.
- Appeared on CFRB 1010 and spoke with Jim Richards regarding the trial of Foulidis v Ford
- Appeared on in the national and international media to discuss Online Obscenity and Webmaster Liability
- Quoted in various media regarding Revenge Sites and Reputation Management
- Was a guest on CFRB’s Mike Bullard Show to discuss the legal implications of lying on Facebook.
- Discussed the legalities of Cheaterville.com and cross border litigation of defamation lawsuits with Metro News
- Discussed some of the legal requirements for businesses to make their websites accessible to the disabled on itbusiness.ca
- Quoted by the Canadian Press in a story about privacy rights and photography
- Was a guest on CFRB’s Jerry Agar show and discussed the merits of the defamation law suit of George Foulidis vs Rob Ford.
- Appeared on CTV Southwestern Ontario discussing defamation on social networking site
- Appeared on Global News 16 x 9 in a piece about online revenge and internet defamation.
- Quoted in The Darker Side of Social Networking, a story about Facebook and Privacy
- Appeared on CBC’s The National to discuss the legal issues involved in new investigative powers given to the police to monitor internet communications.
- Appeared on CBC’s The National to discuss the legal issues involved in the Scrabulous Facebook application.
- Presented at seminar for The Canadian Institute on: Using the Internet to Find Information on a Debtor
- Appeared on CBC Radio’s Spark to discuss the legal issues involved in piggybacking on your neighbour’s wireless network. You can download the podcast here. Gil Zvulony appears ~12 minutes into the show.
- Appeared on CBC Newsworld to discuss privacy issues relating to making the National Sex Offender Registry available to the public.
- Profiled in a Law Times article about a precedent setting judgment obtained. See:Ontario Court Awards US$192 million American Judgment (pdf).
- City News discussed email privacy in the Workplace
- Law Times (pdf), discussed the law as it relates to cross border purchases
- Dose (pdf), discussed a Federal Court of Canada decision regarding peer to peer file sharing
- Wired Magazine discussed the law as it relates to photographs
- Court TV’s Legal Briefs discussed regulation of the internet
- City Online discussed privacy issues surrounding camera phones
- CH News discussed the legality of employers researching employees on social networking sites like myspace.com
- CBC Radio One discussed Canada’s copyright and trade-mark laws as it relates to the piracy of intellectual property owned by United States citizens
Get Customized Legal Advice from Gil Zvulony
If you would like to consult Mr. Zvulony then feel free to fill out and submit the form below. You may also call our Toronto office to make an appointment at 416.483.3500 or 1.888.691.8114. Mr. Zvulony offers a discounted rate of $99 (plus tax) for the first thirty minutes of consultation. In your consultation, Gil Zvulony will:
- Listen attentively to your questions, concerns, and goals
- Ask you questions that are relevant to your case and goals,
- Analyze your case,
- Advise you on the likelihood of achieving your goals,
- Advise you on possible strategies for achieving your goals,