Toronto Internet Lawyer, Gil Zvulony recently spoke to CityNews about theDirty.com (see clip above). The Dirty.com is a website where people can anonymously post photos and make comments about others. It is often used as a forum for defamation and cyber-bullying. The law as it relates to theDirty.com and websites like it are complex. Many different areas of law are engaged such as defamation law, copyright law, criminal law, privacy law and international law.
For further reading on some common legal issues that arise with sites like theDirty.com see the following :
- Legal Rights in a Photograph
- Defamation and Anonymous Postings on the Internet
- The Enforcement of American Defamation Judgments in Canada
- Defamation in Online Forums
- What is Defamation in Ontario Law
- Does the Libel and Slander Act Apply to Internet Postings?
- What Not to Say on Social Media
- Criminal Harassment on Twitter
- Removing Defamatory Search Engine Results
- Cyber Libel in Canada
- In the News: Nude Photos on Revenge Sites
- What is Copyright?
- Facebook: Who Owns What?